With Football season under way, what better game day or tailgating snack than chicken wings. Unfortunately a lot of oven baked chicken wing recipes out there don’t give your wings the same crispy texture as their fried counterpart. These wings however, come pretty close due to the baking powder coating which draws moisture to the surface of the chicken, allowing it to get that crispiness that you’re looking for.
A little note on the chicken. A lot of stores will sell pre-cut/prepped wing pieces that are already separated into wing (minus wing tip) and drumstick, so if you don’t want to go through the extra prep, or aren’t comfortable cutting up the chicken I would suggest trying to find those. If you don’t mind the extra work, the whole wing pieces are quite a bit cheaper, and there are a lot of videos out there on YouTube on getting the pieces separated.
Once your wings are ready, you can either eat them just the way they are for a “naked wing”, or toss them through either a store bought Keto Friendly BBQ Sauce (we use the G Hughes Smokehouse Sugar Free BBQ Sauce which is available in some Walmarts, and Hy-Vees or click the link to get it from Amazon) or Buffalo Sauce, or you can make your own sugar free sauce to eat them with.
4lbs Chicken Wing portions
2 tbsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Salt
1 oz Pork Rinds ground in food processor.
- Adjust your oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle as you will be moving the wings between the two racks half way through. Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Put a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
Place your wing segments in a large bowl.
- Mix the Baking Powder and salt in a smaller bowl, and then sprinkle over your wings.
- Toss the wings through the powder mixture until completely coated.
Sprinkle your ground Pork Rinds over your chicken, and again toss until fully coated.
- Arrange your wings skin side up on your wire rack.
- Put your baking sheet on the lower-middle oven rack and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees, and move your baking sheet to the upper-middle oven rack and bake for another 40-50 minutes rotating the baking sheet about half way through, until the wings are brown and crispy.
- Remove them from the oven and let them sit for 5 minutes, and then either coat in your sauce, or serve them as they are with a side of sauce.