If you’re new to Keto you might not have heard about Fat Dough yet but I’m here to tell you that this simple dough is LEGIT. After a month of keto I was absolutely dying for some bread, a pizza crust, ANYTHING that tasted like carbs or bread.
Garrett and I tried cauliflower pizza dough which was meh but I guess it worked. I just wasn’t a fan of the soft crust and cauliflower taste of the pizza dough and it was a lot of work for not a lot of success. If you like cauliflower more than I do this might be a good option for you and worth a try. But I wanted more!
Next we tried chicken pizza crust which was better than the cauliflower crust but I still wasn’t satisfied. Garrett definitely liked this better than I did and while I wasn’t home while he made it he said it was pretty easy to make.
So when I stumbled across this recipe for fat head dough I was a bit skeptical but willing to give it a try after seeing so many different options for it. It started as a pizza crust dough but people have used it for so many different things including desserts! We actually haven’t used it for pizza crust yet but I’m a solid fan of it and it makes delicious bagels! There are several different recipes that you can use but I’ve had the most success with this one after tweaking it just a bit.
1 1/2 cup Almond Flour (Get it from Amazon)
1 tbsp Baking Powder
2 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
2 oz Cream Cheese (the lowest carb one is original Philadelphia)
2 large Eggs – beaten
1 tsp garlic powder
Everything but the bagel seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stir together the almond flour, baking powder, and garlic powder and set aside.
- Combine the mozzarella and cream cheese in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, and microwave for another minute. Stir again until well incorporated.
- Stir the flour mixture and the eggs into the melted cheese mixture. Work quickly and knead with your hands until a dough forms. This will be very sticky but continue kneading for a few minutes while it comes together. If the dough becomes hard go ahead and microwave again for another minute to melt the cheese so you can fully incorporate the flour mixture into the cheese.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Roll a long log with each piece, then press together to form a bagel shape on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with topping if using.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, until the bagels are golden and firm.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container (not in the fridge) for up to one week. You can also freeze if you want to make a large batch but they don’t last that long in my house for me to do that!
Depending on which brands of items you use these come out to 3 net carbs for us!
I use these for lunch.. Just Toast them up, slather them in butter, and melt some cheese and ham for a delicious sandwich!
Really, the ideas for the dough are limitless and I can’t wait to experiment with them even more! This recipe should definitely be a staple for anyone doing keto and I promise you this will be life changing for your keto journey. This certainly isn’t as easy as driving to the store and grabbing a loaf of bread but it’s not hard and it’s worth it to be able to have a sandwich.